Pre and Post Botox Treatment Information
You’re on your way to smoother skin, but what should you do before treatment and what should you expect after your Botox treatment? We’ve got it all spelled out for you.
You’re here because you just booked your Botox appointment (book here if you haven’t yet) or you just got Botox and you’re wondering: Okay, what’s next?
We have all the pre and post treatment details for Botox right here.
We are here talking about whether you should have coffee before botox, if alcohol can be consumed after that Botox appointment and if exercise makes a difference in treatment outcome.
Botox treatment available in:
Pre Botox Treatment Information
- 3 DAYS BEFORE treatment: AVOID topical products such as Tretinoin (Retin-A), Retinols, Retinoids, Glycolic Acid, Alpha Hydroxy Acid, or other “anti-aging” products. Also AVOID waxing, bleaching, tweezing, or the use of hair removal cream on the area to be treated.
- 7 DAYS BEFORE treatment (to prevent bruising): AVOID blood thinning over-the-counter medications such as Aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen, and Aleve. Also avoid herbal supplements, such as Garlic, Vitamin E, Ginkgo Biloba, St. John’s Wort, and Omega-3 capsules.
- 24 HOURS BEFORE treatment do not drink alcoholic beverages to avoid extra bruising.
- Do not use BOTOX® if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, are allergic to any of its ingredients, or suffer from any neurological disorders. Please inform your provider if you have any questions about this prior to the treatment.
Post Botox Treatment Information
- Refrain from straining, heavy lifting, vigorous exercise for at least 4 hours following treatment. It takes the toxin approximately 2 hours to bind itself to the nerve terminal to start to take effect. Increasing circulation may inadvertently move the botulinum toxin from where it was injected.
- Do NOT lie head down flat, touch, or rub the treated areas for at least 4 hours.
- Avoid Aspirin, Motrin, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, or any other essential fatty acids at least 3 days to 1 week after treatment. These items may increase bleeding and bruising.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplement, high-sodium foods, high sugar foods, refined carbohydrates, spicy foods, and cigarettes 24-48 hours after your treatment. These items may contribute to increased swelling or irritation.
- Avoid the use of Retin-A or similar products (ex. Kinerase, Tazorac) 2 days after treatment to avoid increased irritation or redness.
- Avoid cosmetic treatments such as laser, ultrasound, peels, facials, or other medspa services for 2 weeks after treatment with Dysport® or BOTOX®.
- Try to avoid wearing makeup until the day after treatment. Earlier use may cause pustules. If you must wear makeup we recommend a good quality mineral makeup for the face.
- Please report to your provider of any increased pain, increased swelling, redness, blisters, or itching immediately, should it occur following your treatment.
- The treatment may take 7-14 days to take full effect. It is recommended that the touch up, if needed, be done no sooner than 2 weeks after the initial treatment.
- Avoid wearing hats or headbands after treatment.