We all know someone who looks like they never age with seemingly perfect skin and youthful features. While some of this can be attributed to lucky genetics and environmental factors, sometimes there’s more going on.
Many people are starting to use preventative Botox to sustain their youthful appearance well into their adult life. While people traditionally sought Botox to reverse the signs of aging, such as fine lines, people are learning about the benefits of preventative Botox to ward off wrinkles as they get older. Below, we’ll explain the pros and cons of preventative Botox and why you should consider it as your next anti-aging treatment.
What Is Preventative Botox?
With age, our skin will start to sag and wrinkle as we produce less collagen and expose ourselves to harsh environmental factors, such as UV rays or smoking. Wrinkles and fine lines also appear on the skin as we make facial expressions for years.
Preventative Botox is a cosmetic procedure that utilizes Botox to prevent fine lines and wrinkles from appearing. When an aesthetic professional performs the treatment, they can tell where the lines and wrinkles will develop or have started to appear but have yet to rest on the skin. You can use preventive Botox before deep creases or wrinkles form, allowing your skin to retain its natural appearance rather than filling existing lines.
People also use Dysport injections as an alternative to Botox. While both are used for the same purpose, there is a slight difference in the protein in Dysport. This protein allows Dysport to diffuse or spread more once a professional injects the treatment. Botox and Dysport are indicated for 3 months before another injection is due. Both Botox and Dysport are effective preventative anti-aging treatments.
It’s important to note that Dysport is only approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat glabellar lines, while Botox is approved to treat glabella lines, crow’s feet and forehead lines.
How Does Preventative Botox Work?
Understanding what Botox is and how preventative Botox works will help you better understand the procedure and know what to expect from treatment.
Botox is derived from a bacterium called Clostridium botulinum, often found in forests, soils and lakes. Many people are surprised to learn that Botox is a neurotoxin, and exposure to a high concentration of Botox can result in a life-threatening illness called botulism. The potential for illness is why it’s essential to seek treatment from a qualified professional. Aesthetic Nurse Practitioners are trained to understand the appropriate dosage and the best location to inject Botox to prevent fine lines and wrinkles.
When you seek preventative Botox treatment, you can expect your provider to follow these steps:
- Consulting with you: Before you start the procedure, you’ll consult with a professional to determine where they should administer the Botox injection. People often receive preventative Botox injections in the forehead or glabellar area. They can also be injected around the eyes, mouth and eyebrows since many people form wrinkles in these locations as they age.
- Creating the Botox: Now that you and your provider have a plan of action, they’ll create the Botox by mixing the power with saline solution.
- Injecting the Boxox: Now it’s time for the procedure. Your provider will inject the Botox into the predetermined locations, relaxing the muscles in those areas. Relaxing the muscles reduces their movement and prevents wrinkles from forming. More specifically, Botox blocks nerve signals to these muscles, causing them to relax and limit repetitive motions that cause wrinkles.
Since Botox reduces the movement in your facial muscles, this will often soften the appearance of wrinkles from smiling, frowning or making other expressions. Like any non-invasive treatment, there are a few side effects of preventative Botox that affects some individuals at the site of injection, including:
The lasting effects of preventative Botox will keep your skin looking youthful and free of wrinkles and fine lines, far outweighing the potential for side effects. Some people don’t experience side effects and all, but for those who are worried, you can rest easy knowing that the side effects are minor for most people.
Who Is Preventative Botox For?
The FDA approves Botox treatments for individuals over 21. Fine lines and wrinkles typically start appearing in their mid -20s and 30s for individuals. However, it can vary based on age, genetics, the strength of expression, etc.
Preventative Botox is ideal for individuals who:
- Have minimal fine lines or wrinkles: If you’ve started to notice you’re developing fine lines and wrinkles, it’s an excellent time to get preventative Botox. This treatment can help improve these signs of aging and prevent them from developing further.
- Are very expressive: People who regularly emote using their face are more likely to start seeing fine lines and wrinkles sooner. Preventative Botox can help you reduce the wrinkles and fine lines that appear from regular expressions, and a Nurse Practioner will know what areas to target.
- Want to be proactive about their appearance: If you want to prevent wrinkles and fine lines later in life, preventative Botox is right for you. You can prevent the signs of aging from appearing too soon, helping you maintain your youthful appearance.
- Expose themselves frequently to aging environmental factors: Certain environmental factors can speed up the signs of aging, such as smoking or excessive sunlight exposure. Some people are required to be out in the sun all day due to their job or other responsibilities, which can cause fine lines and wrinkles to appear sooner. These individuals would be good candidates for preventative Botox.
If you’re trying to decide when to start preventative Botox, there isn’t a definite answer. While you likely won’t need preventative Botox when you turn 18, some individuals begin to notice they’re developing wrinkles and fine lines in their 20s. You can get preventative Botox as soon as you feel ready.
Why Get Preventative Botox?
If you’re looking for a successful treatment to reduce the signs of aging, preventative Botox is worth it. Reasons to get preventative Botox include:
- Prevents fine lines and wrinkles: The main benefit and reason people seek preventative Botox is to prevent fine lines and wrinkles. Treatment will help prevent the signs of aging and maintain your youthful appearance long into your adult life.
- Relaxes facial muscles: If you already have fine lines and wrinkles during preventative treatment, the Botox will help reduce their appearance.
- Safe anti-aging treatment: Preventative Botox is a common treatment, so you can rest assured that your provider knows what they’re doing and how to administer the treatment safely. You can also speak with your provider about your concerns before treatment to alleviate any fear or worry.
- Affordable anti-aging injection: Botox tends to be more affordable compared to other anti-aging injections. The recommended dose per Allergan is 64 units (which includes treatment of all three areas).
Why Choose Face Forward for Preventative Botox
Face Foward can help you determine the best time to start preventative Botox based on your skin and issues. Our services are proven effective and are offered at a price that’s friendly to your budget.
If you’re trying to decide where to get preventative Botox, we’ve got you covered. We offer preventative Botox injections in Columbus and other Ohio, Nevada and Pennsylvania locations. Our Botox treatments can help reduce and smooth fine lines and wrinkles while helping you maintain a youthful appearance.
Nicole Talley, APRN-CNP
Nicole Talley is a board-certified nurse practitioner as well as a certified aesthetic nurse practitioner. She completed her BSN at the University of Kentucky and worked as a critical care nurse for 7 years. She graduated from Otterbein University with her family nurse practitioner degree in 2019. She is certified by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. She has been with Face Forward Aesthetics since 2019. She loves working together with patients to develop a treatment plan, providing education, witnessing their transformation, and watching their confidence flourish by the end. Outside of the office, Nicole loves to spend time with her husband, family, and friends, traveling to new places, and trying new restaurants.